This year as for the last couple of years, the #1 tool is Twitter. But here are a few observations on this year’s list.
- The list is dominated once again by free, online social tools – and proprietary content development tools continue to decline.
- The top three tools – Twitter, YouTube and Google Docs – retain their positions from 2010.
- Other tools have moved up the list since 2010. This include Vimeo (up 41 places) and Yammer (up 37 places)
- There are 23 new tools on the list this year, the highest placed of which is Google+, followed by TED and Scoop.it.
- Other tools have moved down the list, and some have moved off the list completely. Notably this includes Firefox (which was actually the #1 tool in the first survey of tools in 2007) and Second Life.
If you are interested in a more detailed view of the movement of the tools on the list, take a look at the Winners & Losers 2011.
I’ve also created a Best of Breed 2011 list, which categorizes the tools under a number of headings.